Total Pageviews

Friday, March 6, 2015

Exploring the City of Puyo

Hola blog followers! I have spent the last day uploading photos, so most of the next few posts will be pictures!

My morning started early! Magus asked her brother if I would be able to tag along with him to his trip to Puyo, a city in the tropical part of Ecuador. He agreed and so him, their tia (aunt) and her friend and I all went on our trip! It was about a two hour drive to Puyo from Ambato. Here are some pictures from our drive there! Per usual, the pictures don't do it justice. It's quite frustrating...





When we arrived in Puyo, we had to do some work for Magus's brother first. He was checking out a farm to purchase. We spent an hour or so doing that and then we went into the city! Puyo is the capital of Pastaza, a province in Ecuador. The Puyo River eventually leads into the Amazon River. The area is very tropical and it was raining on and off all day, but that didn't stop us!
Here is a picture of me with a statue of the indigenous people.

And a snapshot of the little shops and such near the river!

The river! 

This is a picture of Magus's brother, aunt and I! 

Us on the bridge over the river!

And some photos of our walk on the river!
This cool tree!
Me sitting on the cool tree...

We then headed into the jungle for a tour of the jungle! This specific tour was for learning about the indigenous people, their lifestyle, medicines and weapons! Check it out!

The view inside a teepee

Our hike in the jungle. There were several plants used for medicines. I tried them all (and I'm still alive after eating random jungle plants...lucky break I guess...).

A sweet, super tall, jungle tree. 

This was a sugar cane tree. The leaves tasted like a piece of Big Red gum...

Selfie in the jungle!

Inside another indigenous home. 

These leaves were used to help digestion issues. You roll them up in your palms and then squeeze and a red liquid is created. It tastes super bitter. 

Inside the indigenous home.

We finished our hike and headed to lunch! Check out my amazing meal of shrimp!

Cool pictures from the car ride to our next stop!





Then we headed for one last stop! The family park of Baños! Check out the amazing landscapes and flowers(most know how crazy I am about my flowers). 




This one is for David!

There were also animals in the park...Including this sweet turkey...

Who attacked me the second I turned off this video....







Our last stop for the day was to get some jugo de caña or sugar cane juice. I thought the process was so cool. Check out the video! It also tasted delicious! 

I arrived back home, tired as ever, and my new friend, Maria Paz(the daughter of Magus) gave me the cutest gift for El Dia de La Mujer or Women's Day, which is actively celebrated in Ecuador. Translation of the note: "Happy Women's Day. I love you very much"

It was a great day and I am so blessed to be learning so much and exploring with wonderful friends. 

1 comment:

  1. So very interesting, and again, your pictures are breathtaking, and I am sure they do not do the real deal, justice. You are learning so much about all the vegetation and plants. As I looked at the pictures, I was wondering how many snakes live in the jungle, and is it dangerous to be exploring there. That big turkey probably went after you, to protect himself from being picked for a future delectable meal. Nice job! Love, G & P.

    ReplyDelete